8 December 2011

Setting out my stall

I'm a freelance journalist, based in east London and writing mainly about travel and the arts for various newspapers, magazines and websites (if you want to see what else I do, have a look at my website – www.jocaird.com – it's all up there). 

The plan for this blog, which I hope to update weekly, is to tell you about the places I've seen, the things I've done, the people I've met, the food I've eaten and the drinks I've drunk on my travels. Other writing commitments mean I don't jet off to fragrant foreign lands as often as some travel journos, so the 'abroad' in this blog's title must be taken in its broadest sense of 'out and about'. If I haven't been away on a press trip or on holiday (it's usually about 50:50 and I'll always tell you which is which when I'm writing about a journey I've taken), London, in its eccentricities and amazingments, will be my focus.

Here's a little bit about my attitude to travel in general, so you know what you're getting into:
  1. I try to limit my air travel to long-haul trips, preferring to go by train, boat or beautiful campervan (see below) where possible, cash and time permitting.



  2. I am very greedy when it comes to delicious food and drink, will always go for an independent establishment over a chain and have an aversion to two people in the same party ordering the same dish. If there is home-made ice-cream on the menu, I must order it, even if I'm so full I can't breathe.
  3. I love speaking foreign languages (I speak pretty good Italian, having lived there at various points over the last few years, and can get by in French and Spanish) and feel disproportionately delighted when my accent gets me mistaken for a native speaker.
That's it for now. More soon. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment